C.D. Journals – September 14, 2018

closeup photo of journal book and pencils

Photo by Jess Watters on Pexels.com

It has been almost a month and a half since my official diagnosis and not a lot has changed.  My experience with the first chiropractic neurologist I saw was a bit disappointing.  She gave me lots of neurological “exercises” to do that took up a big chunk of each day.  I was to see her once a week for four weeks, but after three weeks and not much change she referred me to another neurologist.  One who supposedly has more experience with movement disorders.

Personally, I feel like she gave up too soon.  Surely it takes more than three weeks to reeducate the human brain?  I’m no doctor though, so what do I know?  This second neurologist seems to be a bit of a big wig.  He has written a couple of books, does seminars, and wants $500 for my first visit with him after waiting almost three weeks for a call back from him.  Maybe that’s par for the course?  Again, I have no idea.  This is all new to me.

To be perfectly honest, my husband and I are praying about and discussing seeing this second neurologist.  That’s a lot of money to shell out for an initial consultation on the “chance” that he can cure this incurable disease.  It probably seems like a no-brainer (no pun intended), but that’s a lot of money for us to gamble with. According to everything I’ve read – and I’ve read everything I could get my hands on – the only real cure is surgery to cut the nerves that are misfiring.

Trying to be practical while, at the same time, doing all we can to find ways to deal with this new situation is difficult at best.  We’re a one-income family, so we don’t have unlimited resources with which to seek out every possible solution and try every suggestion that comes our way.  $500 might not seem like a lot to some, especially for a chance at some relief from this mess they call Cervical Dystonia, but it’s a lot for us.  We have a son in college, an 11-year old, another son preparing for the mission field living at home, and my husband needs hernia surgery that’s going to cost over $5,000.

I am still functioning, granted with a neck brace most of the time, but functioning nonetheless.  I guess it comes down to priorities. I’m not in constant pain, and my situation is not life-threatening.  The same cannot be said for a hernia.  I know there have been people who have gone years with one, my husband among them. I also know that if it gets too big, it could get dangerous really fast.

I’m not sure what we’re going to end up deciding.  I just pray that whatever the decision, we are in God’s will because that is where everything is going to work out for the best.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s